Angelicin has anti-cancer, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory activities; it regulates LPS-induced inflammation via inhibiting MAPK/NF-κB pathways. Angelicin is a powerful inducer of erythroid differentiation and -globin mRNA accumulation of human leukemia K562 cells, it is a potential therapeutic approach in hematological disorders, including -beta-thalassemia and sickle cell anemia.
1. Martynoside has antioxidative activity.
2. Martynoside is a natural selective estrogen receptor modulator.
3. Martynoside has anticancer and antimetastatic activities.
4. Martynoside has the potential of antagonizing sports anaemia, the mechanism of this effect might be related to preventing RBC from free radical damage.
5. Martynoside and verbascoside can resist muscle fatigue, which is depending on their antioxidative activities.
1. Quassin exhibits P. falciparum inhibitory activity (IC50=0.06 micro g/ml, 0.15 micro M).
2. Quassin can significantly increase red blood cell count, pack cell volume and haemoglobin concentration, suggests that it possesses anti-anaemic property.
3. Quassin has female anti-fertility properties, possibly acting via inhibition of estrogen secretion.
4. Quassin alters the immunological patterns of murine macrophages through generation of nitric oxide to exert antileishmanial activity.
Cucurbitacin D has anticancer effects, it induces apoptosis through caspase-3 and phosphorylation of JNK in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Cucurbitacin D may be a potential therapeutic agent for β-hemoglobinopathies, including sickle cell anemia and β-thalassemia. Cucurbitacin D is a new inflammasome activator in macrophages, it can initiate immunomodulating activity in macrophages to lead to inflammasome activation as well as enhancement of LPS signaling.
Vanillin is a single molecule extracted from vanilla beans and also a popular odor used widely in perfume, food and medicine.Vanillin can reversibly and non-competitively inhibit the cellulase activity at appropriate concentrations and the value of IC50 was estimated to be 30 g/L.Vanillin protects KSC from UVB irradiation and its effects may occur through the suppression of downstream step of MDM2 in UVB irradiation-induced p53 activation. Vanillin also inhibits yeast growth and fermentation.