1. Taccalonolide A is the first microtubule stabilizing agent to be discovered from a plant since identification of the mechanism of action of paclitaxel and it is the first natural product steroid identified to have these cellular effects.
1. Several taccalonolides, isolated from Tacca leontopetaloides, have in vitro antitrypanosomal activity against Trypanosoma brucei brucei and EC50 values for the isolated compounds were from 0.79 ug/mL.
2. Taccalonolide B displayes microtubule stabilizing activity.
1. Taccalonolide AJ has excellent and highly persistent antitumor efficacy when administered directly to the tumor, suggesting that the lack of antitumor efficacy seen with systemic administration of AJ is likely due to its short half-life in vivo.
2. Taccalonolide AJ, laulimalide/fijianolide B and paclitaxel are microtubule stabilizers.